Not sure whether is it a common scene in Sg now...
But I have encountered 3 cases of ppl shouting crude words loudly in public.
Similarities:
1) They are mostly alone.
2) The words are directed to nobody, to the air.
3) Their contents are more or less the same: Scolding/ blaming someone ==> Venting their frustration
4) They seem to be in a daze, dont know what they are doing.
5) Disregard the peculiar looks from ppl ard them.
6) Saying the same content repeatedly in loud, clear voice.
7) They looks normal, in the sense of dressing and mostly importantly they wont do anything funny. ( I mean they only use their mouths, not fists)
8) They nvr failed to shock me with their sudden, loud and crude remarks.
The 1st case that I encountered was during last year june vacation. While waiting for shuttle bus at Tanah Merah bus-stop, there was this middle-age guy, in a quite casual outfit - Polo-Tee and knee-length shorts. His hair was neatly combed to the back. Looks like some biz man.
He started to talk to himself or talk to the air, started to vent his frustration. He sounded like his biz had failed and blamed the failure to somebody.
The 2nd incident happened early this year when I was travelling in a train back home.
THis middle-age lady, who looked very much like one of the HR lecturer, who taught me before in "Understanding the emotions" module. =P
Again, She was also scolding someone, but this time her target was some Chinese women. She blamed them for being hyprocrite and materistic. She seems to be treated unfairly by them.
The 3rd case occured recently. It happened just yesterday when I was studying in one of the bench in SCi fac. There was this old lady slping on one of the bench beside near to where I sat. Initially, I thought she was some cleaner, who just knocked off from work (cos she was not wearing any uniform).
I got a fright when she suddenly stood up form her seat and shouted crude remarks. She seemed irriated by her gambler husband as she kept scolding him.
Conclusion: More and more Singaporeans seem to be getting depression! Channels to help these ppl are not well- reached. Family bonds seem to be lacking.